CoderGirlHackDay on International Day of the Girl
By Vicky Twomey-Lee in Dublin Oct. 12, 2015, 11 p.m.
A huge thank you to everyone who were involved, helped out, supported and most of all to all the young women who came along and made it a fantastic day!
We even had Silicon Republic and CCTV (China News) doing a bit of coverage. Here's CCTV's feature of the event: http://english.cntv.cn/2015/10/11/VIDE1444545001184268.shtml
The awesome Ann O'Dea opened the event.
And look at all the ambitions on @InspirefestHQ's Ambition wall!
There was a competition for a guardian and a child to attend Inspirefest 2016
And congrats to the winners:
Looky, that's me with my ambition (it was hard to think of one, there's so many, but I picked the one that really meant something to me at the very moment in time)!
There were three awesome hack events running in parallel, Fungus Story-telling Workshop, Making music with SonicPi and Making a Lighthouse with TOG.
@codergirlsrock great sonic pi session pic.twitter.com/AyYo89xHfh— Edel Flynn (@EdelFlynn) October 10, 2015
Here's a write-up from TOG of the day: http://www.tog.ie/2015/10/lighthouses-at-coder-girl-hack-day/
Python Workshop for Adults
The adult Python workshop was postponed till after lunch and there was a few technical hitches with getting the borrowed laptops from Coder Dojo to be set up, by the time we were ready, I didn't realise I only had 50 minutes left to go through 2.5 hours content.
We covered the following:
- Basic command line
- Writing first Python code in the Python interpretor
- Writing first Python script
- executing it in command line
- call the function via Python interpretor
- Accepting input from the user and printing it out.
Since we ran out of time, I ran through what I could have covered if I had time, and a special script that was created by an attendee at the Python workshop at Inspirefest earlier this year with ascii art. See game_10_with_design.py.
For those who are curious, you can get the content by downloading "python-workshop.zip" from: https://bitbucket.org/codinggrace/python-project-workshop/downloads
If you are using a Windows machine, if you didn't say "Yes" during setup to set the environment variables for you, you will need to follow the instructions from this post.
Next Coding Grace Workshop
- Introduction to HTML/CSS supported by WITS Ireland @ NCI - Sat Oct 17
Upcoming female-friendly events
- GTFO Screening @ Science Gallery - Thu Oct 15th
- PyLadies Dublin @ Tribal.vc - Tue Oct 20th
- Short talk on "Bootstrapping your Career"
- Bring your own laptop
- Ireland Girl Geek Dinner @ Science Gallery - Thu Oct 22nd
- Women Who Code Dublin Launch @ Zendesk - Thu Nov 12th
- Rails Girls Dublin @ Zendesk - Sat Nov 21st
Upcoming Python-related events
- Python Ireland meetups
- Wed Oct 14 @ Bull&Castle
- PyCon Ireland 2015
- Sat Oct 24 - Sun Oct 25 @ Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, D8
- x2 tracks talks / x2 tracks workshops
- Student: EUR40 / Normal: EUR70
- PyCon Ireland 2015 Sprints
- Mon Oct 26 @ Radisson Blu Hotel, D8