Learn Python by making a text-based adventure game write-up (22nd July)
By Vicky Twomey-Lee in Dublin July 28, 2014, 3 p.m.
Related event: Learn Python by making a text-based game (Tue 22 Jul 2014)
We had a projector this time (thanks, Ursula). First thing first (after shuffling around furnishings to have people set up so they can see the projection), make sure everyone is set up and have the Python files we will be stepping through during the workshop. We've learnt that it would be easier for everyone to have PyCharm IDE installed, Sublime Editor is nice, but a little figety to set up.
You can download the Python workshop files here.
We first went through the QuickStart Guide to CLI and Python to get people comfortable in command line and running Python via the console.
We also mentioned some style guidelines like 4 spaces when indenting. Check out PEP-8 for more information on Python programming style guidelines.
After the quickstart we went through the Python scripts, which are over-commented, but useful guide as we built up the text-based game from starting off asking your name to bringing the player through options of picking doors to unknown rooms and encountering things dead or alive. Concepts like writing functions, declaring variables, if, for and while loops are introduced as well as some basic data types (numbers, strings, lists and booleans).
If people have questions with anything in relation to the workshop and its content, you can join the Coding Grace forum and we (as well as others on the forum) would be happy to help.
If you have a workshop that you want us to run, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Introduction to Ruby on Rails
- Sat, 23rd Aug 2014 11:00 - 16:00
- Where: Zendesk, Dublin
- Level: Beginners
- Price: EUR20.00 (incl. lunch)
Data Analysis with Python
- Sat, 30th Aug 2014 11:00 - 16:00
- Where: Dublin
- Level: Basic knowledge of Python required
- Price: EUR20.00 (Incl. lunch)
Learn Python by making a text-based game @ CultureTECH
- Sat, 20th Sep 2014 13:00 - 15:30
- Where: Derry, Northern Ireland
- Level: Beginners
- Price: FREE
More details: RSVP via CultureTECH site
Workshops coming soon
- Raspberry Pi (Aug)
- Introduction to Latex (Sept)
- Intermed Unity3D | Intermed R | More Python workshops
- Python Ireland Talks Wed 13th Aug | Engine Yard
- 2nd Wed Monthly - see python.ie
- PyLadies Dublin & Craft Night Tue 19th Aug | TOG
- 3rd Tue Monthly - see dublin.pyladies.com
- PyCon Ireland 2014 (Beginners friendly, so do come along)
- Main conference: October 11th - 12th
- Sprints: October 13th - 14th
- Tickets details for both conference and sprints are available via python.ie/pycon/
- Coding Grace's - Command Line Interface beginners workshop slides