First Python Workshop of 2019 completed!
By Vicky Twomey-Lee in Dublin Jan. 23, 2019, 2:01 p.m.
We ran our 1st workshop of 2019, here's a quick write-up with resources. 🙌👩💻👩🏻💻👩🏼💻👩🏽💻👩🏾💻👩🏿💻
During the workshop, I realised the Python scripts some folks were using were the older version (in Python 2 as well), if you had problems running the scripts, you can download the latest Python scripts again (I've removed all the other .zip files) via https://bitbucket.org/codinggrace/python-project-workshop/downloads/
See screenshot below:
For those who are curious of other examples of interactive games you want to try out:
- Black Mirrors Bandersnatch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mirror:_Bandersnatch
- Banner Saga: https://bannersaga.com/
Other user groups to be aware of if you want to continue on learning about Python and meeting others in the Python community:
Most code editors have this feature where you can run code in the terminal in your editor. Here's how you can open the terminal to use on VS Code:
We ran out of time at the end, here are some resources to follow up:
- Hitch Hikers Guide to Python - docs.python-guide.org
- Django Girls Tutorial (Free) - tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/index.html
- Other fun ways to learn to code - slant.co/options/17534/alternatives/~codewars-alternatives
- Coding Grace's resources- codinggrace.com/resources/#python -- I will update this page with the ones above
After you are comfortable with basics of Python, you should try Newcoder.io tutorials, which are self-driven projects.
Any questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
I forgot to mention the Raspberry Pi Jam in the slides, it's on Sat Mar 2 at TOG Hackerspace as part of the official celebrations of Raspberry Pi's 7th birthday with other jams around the world. It's FREE to attend, more details at https://ti.to/dublin-raspberry-pi-jam/raspberry-jam-big-birthday-event-2019.
You can find out more about our upcoming events as well as other diversity in tech events and workshops, general tech events and conferences by subscribing to our monthly newsletter via codinggrace.com